While traditional outbound ad campaigns attempt to persuade unfamiliar audiences with sales messages, “inbound” campaigns focus on the value they can provide users. This prompts those users to naturally gravitate to the business when the need arises (Entrepreneur.com).
The Net is not television. It is the finest direct-marketing mechanism in the
history of mankind. It is direct mail with free stamps, and it allows you
to create richer and deeper relationships than you’ve ever been
able to create before. – Seth Godin
Bringing together online lead generation strategies with content marketing, the focus is engaging with your customer in relevant ways to encourage them to join your tribe.
This could be blogging on topics that are important to your customer, or forming a strategic partnership (or affiliation) with a company that already has your market’s trust and attention. You might produce compelling video content or employ social media engagement strategies. Inbound even extends to google ads and well-performing SEO.
There are a multitude of ways to find and engage with your community. By developing strategies (and content) that first considers the needs of the customer, brands have an opportunity to remove the sales speak and find strategies that resonate, inspire and engage with its audience.
A list of inbound marketing activities is provided below, thanks to Marketing Tech Blog ‘How to Accelerate Business Growth with Inbound Marketing’.
- Create Value with Blogging– Businesses that blog get 77% more traffic and 97% more links than those that do not.
- Use Social Media to Drive Traffic– 03 billion social media users give businesses an incredible new channel to drive traffic and find new customers.
- Use SEO to Get Found Online – 93% of online experiences begin with a search engine. When you properly optimize your site and content for search engines, you’ll increase your rankings and get more traffic.
- Leverage Other People’s Audiences– Businesses see a 6-to-1 return when they can find and engage relevant audiences on other sites.
- Create Retargeting and PPC Online Ads– Retargeted visitors are 70% more likely to convert on your website
- Direct Traffic with Calls-To-Action– 70% of businesses don’t have any notable calls-to-action on their homepage.
- Create Value with Content Offers– Premium content generates 3 times as many leads as traditional outbound marketing and costs 62% less.
- Convert Visitors with landing pages – 56% of all website clicks are directed to an internal page, not the homepage.
- Use Opt-In Forms to Boost Conversions– Businesses with opt-in forms can increase conversion rates by 1000% or more!
- Use Social Proof to Create Credibility– Customer reviews can increase marketing effectiveness by 54% because 88% of people trust reviews by other consumers as much as they trust recommendations from personal contacts.
- Use Customer Relationship Management to Track Leads– A CRM can increase revenue by 41% per sales person when used to track and nurture leads.
- Send Emails to Close More Sales– Every $1 spent on email marketing has an average return of $44.25
- Set Up Marketing Automation – Automating the lead nurturing process generates a 10% or greater increase in revenue in just 6-9 months.
- Create Sales Focused Content– 61% of people are more likely to buy from a company that delivers content .
- Use Analytics to Find Top Channels – +50% of businesses find it difficult to attribute marketing activity directly to revenue results.
- Have Awesome Customer Support– 65% of customers leave over a single poor customer service experience
- Create Commentates on Social Media– 53% of people who follow brands on social media are more loyal to those brands.
- Reward Loyal Customers– It costs 5 times more to get new customers than it does to keep existing ones. Which is why it’s crucial that you reward your loyal customers to keep them coming back for more.
- Use Personalisation to Drive Engagement– Businesses see an increase of 20% in sales with personalised experiences.
- Use Survey & Feedback Tools– It takes 12 positive customer experiences to make up for only 1 negative experience. Collecting feedback will help eliminate the chance of a bad customer experience.
- Collect Reviews & Testimonials– Studies show that70% of consumers look at product reviews before making a purchase. Asking customers for reviews at the right time, will create brand advocates that attracts new people.